earlier this week, I had the opportunity to attend a presentation by Andy Zimmerman, Buildong Code official for the City of Erie. He gave us an update on the enforcement of the property maintenance, fire, zoning and building codes.
He gave an overivew as to how the process was progressing, the good and bad. We sent quite a bit of time discussing what the inspectors were looking at and how the problems are being dealt with and resolved. Below is a partial list of what the inspectors are looking at. They have a 4 page Property Checklist. If you'd like the complete Property Checklist, please let me know and I'll send to you.
- Roofs - damaged / in disrepair
- Gutters/Downspouts - missing / need repair
- Exterior Walls - deteriorated soffit, peeling paint
- Foundation Walls - mortar joints loose/deteriorating
- Steps, Handrails - broken/missing steps, missing handrails
- Windows & Doors - provide screens, broken glass, inadequate locks
- Exterior Yard - accumulaiton of rubbish, overgrown weeds/grass
- Interior Rooms - defective walls/ceilings/floors, hazardous use of electrical extension, defective windows, defective/missing smoke detectors
- Bathroom - GFCI needed, dective drains, inadequate ventilation
- Basement - impropert gas shut-off valve, improper use of 30 amp fuses, illegal basement sleeping rooms, uninspected electrical service, unsanitary condition (sewage)
Have you registered your rental properties? How was your experience?